Only University in U.S. with These 5 Centers/Institutes
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Long School of Medicine is the only medical school in the United States with an NCI-designated Cancer Center, an NIA-funded Nathan Shock Center, an NIA-funded Claude Pepper Center, an NIA-designated Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center, and a NCATS-funded Clinical and Translational Science Award.
Mays Cancer Center, home to UT Health San Antonio MD Anderson Cancer Center
- This Center is South Texas’ only National Cancer Institute-Designated Cancer Center.
Sam and Ann Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies
- The only aging center in the nation that holds three National Institute on Aging-funded core centers:
- San Antonio Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center (1 of 14 in U.S.)
- San Antonio Nathan Shock Center of Excellence in the Basic Biology of Aging (1 of 6 in U.S.)
- San Antonio Aging Interventions Testing Program
Glenn Biggs Institute for Alzheimer’s and Neurodegenerative Diseases
- The Biggs Institute is leading Texas’ only Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center. The institute provides a comprehensive network of clinical care with access to the most advanced treatment through clinical trials.
Institute for Integration of Medicine and Science
- IIMS houses our NIH-funded Clinical and Translational Science Award, and integrates laboratory and clinical research for UT Health San Antonio and its partners.
Molecular Transducers of Physical Activity Consortium Adult Clinical Center
- MoTrPAC is a national consortium supported by the National Institutes of Health Common Fund.
South Texas Research Organizational Network Guiding Studies on Trauma and Resilience
- STRONG STAR is a multidisciplinary and multi-institutional research consortium funded by the DoD and VA to develop and evaluate the most effective early interventions possible for PTSD.